Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

MY NAME IS ***** ***** I HAVE A 1987 OR MAYBE 2000 DR80 DIRT

Customer Question

Customer: HI MY NAME IS ***** ***** I HAVE A 1987 OR MAYBE 2000 DR80 DIRT BIKE TWO STROKE. STARTS HARD MOST TIMES NEED TO PUSH START AFTER RUNNING STARS UP ONE KICK. BUT THE MINUTE YOU JUST BARELY MOVE THE THROTTLE IT WINDS UP TO NO LIMIT LIKE 9000RPM OR MORE NOT GOOD FOR 14 YEAR OLD SON ! DONE CARB WORK CABLE HAS PLAY THE THROTTLE BODY IS ALL THE WAY DOWN AND STILL IDLES OUT OF CONTROL? ANY IDEAS REED VALVES I BEEN TOLD POSSIBLE.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: WHAT MORE YOU NEED ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YES
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com
I noticed that your question has not received a response yet and thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question.

Do you still want help with this problem?

If so please confirm the model & year of your Suzuki

Has this problem started since the carb was worked on or before?

What work was done on carb?

Is there a lot of slack (freeplay) at the twistgrip?

Is the performance impaired at all?

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot hear, see, touch or smell anything so I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ITS A 2000 DR80 DIRT BIKE THERE IS PLAY IN CABLE IT DID THIS BEFORE WE DID CARB WORK
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK

If the carb slide returns to the bottom as it should, there is a small amount of freeplay at twistgrip (not excessive though) & presuming you have tried altering the idle screw; the most likely cause is air leaking into the crank area somehow, possibly around the reed block

Is there a drain screw under the engine at the front which could be letting air in? or a crack in the crankcase?

Otherwise (& most likely on a well used engine) it is a crank seal letting air in

Can you check these out please?

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Giving an undeserved negative or low rating will also put off other experts from trying to help

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.