Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have an 03 Honda shadow. It has been sitting in the shed

Customer Question

I have an 03 Honda shadow. It has been sitting in the shed for three months. The battery is charged, the lights and horn work. It will not turn over.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you say "will not turn over" meaning when you depress the starter button you get nothing ?

Do you have access to a multi-meter ?

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I do not.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not real clear on your answer, I'm assuming you are answering to the question if you have a multi-meter ?

You didn't answer on the starter issue ?

For us to move forward you are going to need a meter so we can at least rule a few things out, not sure where you are located but if you have a Harbor freight tool store close to you, they have an inexpensive meter for about $8, if you can grab a meter then we can move on ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 80 years old...........If I had a multi-
meter,I couldn't use it.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, well thanks, ***** *****'t seem to open to try to diagnose your problem, I would be glad to guide you through the procedure, without having the proper tools will make this pretty difficult to figure out your problem, I am going to OPT out, maybe one of the other experts has a been way to come up with an answer you are looking for.

Thanks

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially (and if have not been tried), the prescribed preliminary approach would be; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a primary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Additionally, check the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Carefully but quickly/momentarily, jump the two (2) big terminals. Expect a big spark. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:

• • if no starter action, then starter motor highly suspect;
  • • if starter would only clack loudly, then a possible internal problem;
  • • if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;
  • • if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter relay and/or its wiring/interlocks issue including the clutch & sidestand switch.