P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

My 2014 new to me breakout (7000 miles) with V&H short shots

Customer Question

My 2014 new to me breakout (7000 miles) with V&H short shots and high flow air cleaner seems to run a little rough at low speeds and popping upon deceleration. Can this be corrected with a power pro fi12000 auto tune.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Doubtful...but I can't emphasize enough to not waste your money on that tuner. It is without a doubt the worst tuner on the market. Several years ago I had a representative talk me into trying them. I probably installed 6 or 8 on customer bikes. Every bike had issues and all the issues were due to that tuner. Don't use it.

Now that all that is out of the way let's talk about decel pop with your short shots. This is very common and can be difficult to overcome. Several tuner manufacturers address it in their tuning instructions. A tuner with a properly set decel fuel cut feature is what you need. And you're on the right track with the auto tune function. I believe it is a necessary addition to any bike. It will not make adjustments in the decel area and solve that problem though.

Thundermax and PowerVision are the go to tuners I use and all have decel fuel cut adjustments. I'm new to the V&H FP3 tuner so I'm not quite as familiar with it but I'm pretty confident it has decel fuel cut as well. They all are capable of auto tuning. I would recommend you looking to one of these solutions to solve your problem.

I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.