Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

1800 goldwing 2001 power on but will not start as swell back

Customer Question

1800 goldwing 2001 power on but will not start as swell back brake locked
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi Frederick
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com
I noticed that your question has not received a response yet and thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question.

Do you still want help with this problem?

If so please supply some more background info such as -

Has she been left unused for any length of time?

What actually happens (if anything) when the start button is pushed?

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot hear, see, touch or smell anything so I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has been sitting outside for 2 weeks was written prior to that when I push the starter button button nothing happens once it set for a while if I push the button the music what cut out tried to move the bike so I could work on it back brakes unlocked or clutch isn't working

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean the music from radio/cd player stops when start button is pressed? This is normal as all power is diverted toward turning the engine over

So not even a quiet click noise from solenoid? (The battery may be dead)

there will be a slight click from solenoid if there isnt enough power in the battery to turn the engine over

if no click then no power at all is going to the solenoid, check ignition fuse & main fuse (normally located on solenoid)

Check for power at large solenoid terminal where thick red lead from battery connects also at thin red lead on solenoid when button is pressed

If there is power at thick red you could try briefly jumping across the 2 large solenoid terminals with a screwdriver or similar (high current, dont use a thin wire, expect sparks) to see if that turns the starter motor, if that works then the solenoid isnt being actuated

Please get back to me with the results + let me know the voltage across the battery terminals with ignition OFF (no load), ign & lights ON & then while cranking (3 values)

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Giving an undeserved negative or low rating will also put off other experts from trying to help

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

due to weather and not being able to move bike it will take a dayb or two i will get back to you