Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Alexieff I have 2002 Indian scout that I just purchased.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Alexieff I have 2002 Indian scout that I just purchased. Started fine until last Thursday. Now it cranks but won't start...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tried another battery but no luck...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, Probably work on it Friday...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd check the basics next

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead andrest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the fuel isn't getting through to the carbs

If the bike will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.