Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a yahama Kodiak it will start and run if I turn the

Customer Question

Customer: I have a yahama Kodiak it will start and run if I turn the choke to full. but will only run for several minutes then stalls.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I believe I ran the gas to low then I ADDED NEW GAS. I ALSO PUT IT ON RESERVE TANK. before I HAD THE PROBLEM.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

HI and thank you for your question.

The symptom you describe is typically associated with a engine that has not been started in awhile. If it has sat for more than 30 days without running, they will clog the pilot jet. The pilot jet is responsible for providing and metering fuel at idle and just off idle. It is extremely doubtful that running it out of gas caused the problem.

In the event that it has not sat un-run, I would suggest removing the fuel line from the carb and placing it in a suitable container to catch the gas, and turn the petcock on. It should have a healthy stream coming out of it. If it is weak or non-existent, take the tank off, if it is more than half full, drain it. If it is less than half full, tilt it forward and remove the petcock and inspect the fuel strainers inside the tank connected to the petcock.

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Thanks,

RSRBOB