Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2010 680 Honda Rincon won't shift in auto mode but does

Customer Question

2010 680 Honda Rincon won't shift in auto mode but does shift in manual. Could my throttle position sensor be out? How do I test the sensor? Can if be tested with removing the throttle body?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I don't have a place to ride the atv locally, I lifted the rear end so I could run it in gear. This is how I discovered it wasn't shifting in auto mode. Should it still shift in auto mode with the tires off of the ground? The atv was in a barn for about a year and I believe something had nested in the muffler. After revving up the engine whatever was in the muffler blew out and the obstruction appears to have cleared. Could this have created the shifting problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Usually with the rear being lifted the sensors are reading the correct wheel speeds which can cause the no shift issue in auto mode so if it runs and drives properly when on the ground I suspect it is o.k. and the shifting issue was only a problem with it lifted off the ground due to the rear wheels spinning and the front were not.This will cause a no shift issue here.

The nest blew out and shouldnt have caused a shifting issue on this here.I have seen rodents build nests in exhaust components before and after removing any nests check over this model for any chewed/damaged or broken wiring needing repaired or replaced.If this is all o.k. and the vehicle runs and operates properly then you should be o.k. from here.

If there is still any shifting issues or running issues let me now so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete