Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Motorcycle Question, 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture sat 2

Customer Question

Motorcycle Question, 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Venture sat 2 months without starting and had sta-bil in gas. Now will not run unless choke is pulled out. Drained gas , change plugs, changed and relocated fuel filter to under seat for easy access. Blew carb cleaner through jets and added small amount of seafoam and still won't run without choke. 16,600 miles.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I need a bit more information from you.

First, on the relocation of the fuel filter, are you still able to get fuel to the carbs? It sounds like you have mounted it higher up. Considering you should only have to change the fuel filter once every 50,000 one would question the necessity of that.

Beyond that, exactly what jets did you blow through? The symptoms you described are classic for plugged jets.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I miss spoke about jets, what looked like jets through top of carbs. Guess I need to pull carbs ?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Correct.

You need to ensure the pilot jets are clear. They are the ones responsible for metering fuel at idle off choke.

RSRBOB

PS, be careful taking the carbs apart, they are a bit tricky. If you dont have a service manual, snap a lot of pics of it at each step of the way and make your own SM.