Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

I have a Polaris sportsman 90, 2008 with a similar issue.

Customer Question

I have a Polaris sportsman 90, 2008 with a similar issue. The electric start stopped work, it will still kick start and run but the electric is out. Also when running there seems to be a rattle in the crankcase area. Once started it runs and goes forward,neutral, reverse no issue
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the issue first started when a few sawed off screw heads were sucked into the air intake. Those were removed of course. The electric start switch still responds but it only makes a grinding noise, seems like a gear may not be engaging?
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lana
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com
I noticed that your question has not received a response yet and thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question.

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, need to get this sorted out pretty quickly
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

I dont see how something going into the air intake is going to be the problem with the electric start, but it may have something to do with the rattle!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is still a rattle after the screws were removed. Screws looked pretty chewed up and there is some wear on the Kickstart gears
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot hear, see, touch or smell anything so I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Can you describe the grinding noise more pls?

can you hear the starter motor spin?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OH I thought you meant they were stopped by the air filter!

where were they retrieved from pls?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is hard to hear the starter motor over the grinding noise when using the electric start. It's like a whirring click, very loud and fast paced
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Not stopped. They were found in the left side crank case by the kickstart mechanism
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Good description

The whirring click is like a continual very fast clicking produced by the solenoid

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

It means there is not enough electric power to turn the engine over

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suspected the same, charged the battery and tried again. Same result. Also tried another battery, no dice
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

the most common cause is low battery

Have you tried jumping the solenoid?

a good battery should have 12.7v with no load

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Or put power straight to the starter motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try those. Doesn't however explain the rattle I'm hearing when it's running. Rattle increases with the speed of the atv. Goes from a regular loud ticking to a whine at higher speeds. Trying to get this one kicked because that little engine just doesn't like to kick start in cold weather
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

If the battery is good the next most common cause is the solenoid, followed by the starter motor itself

If the starter motor spins but not the engine then its the starter clutch

Which side is the rattle coming from pls?

Rattle increases with vehicle speed or engine speed?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rattle increases with engine speed. I'll have to open it up again and see if the starter motor is spinning
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK Ill await your reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologize on the delay work kept me from the garage. The rattle is coming from the right side of the crank case, I do not hear or see it on the left when I have it open. Starter motor turns, seems that something is not engaging. Battery tests good
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

I too have to apologise for the delay in replying, I had a weekend off

If the starter motor is turning but the engine isn't, then the starter clutch is worn-out or broken!

It may be the internal springs & roller pins need replacing or it may be the cast outer piece cracked

You will probably be able to spin the starter clutch outer both ways by finger (with the starter motor removed), it should only spin 1 way!!

The rattle may well be from the starter clutch too!

Please let me know when you have investigated

If you want more info then get back to me please

If I have already helped you then please press accept as that is the only way that I am compensated for my input, your question will stay open for its 7 day lifespan!

Please take the time to rate my service too, I hope it has been favourable

Please take the time to rate my service to
you, I hope it has been favourable
Negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here, so if you feel you should give me a low rating, please contact me 1st & I will strive to reverse that feeling

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will open it up again tomorrow and check that
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK keep me informed pls

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe you are right about the starter clutch. Do you have a good source for the parts
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

GR8 you got it sorted!

Polaris themselves is usually the best or Bikebandit seem to be good. But I live in the UK so the service probably varies

Glad to have helped you

If I have already helped you then please
press accept as that is the only way that I
am compensated for my input, this does not
close your question, it will stay open for
its 7 day lifespan! (or longer)

you, I hope it has been favourable

Ratings apply solely to the service an
expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the online schematics make my head hurt and I cannot align the image with what I see
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The website has the same schematics that I cannot decipher as every other website. This is the problem. I cannot discern which part I should order