Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 2008 4010 Kawasaki mule. I have changed the drive

Customer Question

I have a 2008 4010 Kawasaki mule. I have changed the drive belt but it seams to be slipping . how can I adjust the drive pulley or the clutch to help tighten the belt ?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi Larry
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com
I noticed that your question has not received a response yet and thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question.

My info is somewhat limited on your model but as no one else has responded I will try to help you.

My experience on your exact model is somewhat limited but as no one else has responded I will try to help you

Is the belt loose at all speeds?

It should tighten up very quickly - after just a few turns

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Variable transmissions like that are very similar, sometimes there is a limiter in the drive pulley

Did you strip this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't want to be dollar to deaf
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

I will opt -out to open this up to others then

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this, I use to work for Kawasaki Factory, I'm very familiar with this model. Also if you don't mind can I get the 17 digit frame number so I can insure that I get the correct information when I get back to you !

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the frame number but I have the model number KAF620r/P/MSN I have two more number but I don't know what they are###-##-####, UC-T35KU57 and on the year I find two number 2010 and 2011 hope some of this information will help . waiting t r back from you . Thank Larry
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Larry, I think I can get it from there but for your info the frame number is ***** the seat rail bar, so if you are siting on the seat about in the middle, reach between your legs and grab under the seat, its on that bar, on the front side pointing towards the dash.

I see your last decision with the other expert, so I need you to elaborate more on the symptom, so explain exactly what the unit is doing at idle and then when you proceed to take off, explain what its doing at speed, is there any top speed problems, the more detailed symptom will help me, remember that I cant drive this unit.

If the belt was replaced just recently ? if so how many hours since it was replaced and who perform that ?

I need to total hours on the unit, and is the unit modified, are you running the original size tires ?

Thanks Larry, please get back with those questions I have and we will move forward.

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced it about a year ago . Don't know how many hour the meter don't work . Everything is just like it was when I bough it same tires . What it doing ? It started I was trying to pull a loaded trail that was over weight it started squealing so after that I replaced the belt . It still squeal when taking off but when you get to going it quit. Also when it is running and not in gear you can hear the belt flopping . Thank. Larry
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks Larry, Hours really do help me in figuring out these problems since I cant really put my hands on the unit, but lets see what we can come up with.

Belt deflection (slack) is really important and keeping it within spec is critical, I think that I would like to start here as I'm sure that is where you problem lies, I have a couple more questions ?

Can I get you to perform inspection on the belt ?

Are you capable of working on the clutches ? including removing the drive clutch ? (this requires a special tool) ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt look good. Say I'm capable I'm a 66 year old man and retired from a paper mill for 38 years as a mechanics also a farmer and have worked on tractor , truck and just about everything but a mule . I don't have the special tool but if you tell me what it is and where I might buy one I will get it. Thank , Larry
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Larry, OK good you should very capable of working on this unit, I'm going to post up a link for basically belt maintenance, I know you say that the belt "looks good" but I would like you to remove the belt and inspect it for wear, when I say wear what usually happens is unit get stuck and then the drive converter tries to spool up and it will "hour glass" the belt, so picture what an hour glass looks like and you are going to inspect the belt for that type of wear.

But before you remove the belt you need to measure the deflection before you remove it, if its out of spec and you find that the belt is not damaged then you can make adjustments before you put it back together.

More importantly you need to make sure that the shoes in the driven converter are not worn, and then the drive converter you will need to get a look at the rollers on the spyder and then also the weights, you can at least inspect those without pulling it apart, the negative part about working on these clutches is it does require special tools to take them apart, the driven converter is something that you can likely get apart, its just removing the helix to get at the shoes and they are held in with a simple screw.

I will post up a link of performing belt maintenance, if and when you get it apart and have a question on the clutches just give me a shout back and If you have to post up a picture or two and we can go from there.

Give me a bit here and I will post up

Thanks Larry

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Larry, when you get this go ahead and download a copy to your desktop, let me know that you o the file.

Thanks

Kenny

http://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVclVONmNRYStwSHNUQw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Kenny. Sorry it took so long to get back with you but I been trying get my bees fed before it go to raining. I have it pull up on my desktop now waiting farther instruction .
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Larry, you need to check your belt again, but before you pull the belt off, check the deflection. The part number for the special tool for the drive converter removal is###-##-####it retails for $67.40, if you have a local dealer it can be ordered through him, or you can check on line and likely find it a little cheaper.

Kenny