Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4. It has been sitting 6

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4. It has been sitting for about 6 months with the gas drained out of the carb. I had to replace the flywheel and tried to start it. I primed the whole fuel system and also put a new spark plug in it. all I could get it to do was hit every once in ia while. I am close but so far away. What do I do? Thanks in advance.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot hear, see, touch or smell anything so I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

Can you explain what you mean eg does the engine crank every time?

Does she cough or splutter at all?

Has she fresh fuel/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I parked it about 6 months ago because it had a bad flywheel. Like I said I drained the gas from the carb bowl and just got around to fixing it.
It now fires and hits but won't start.
Has fresh gas.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Sorry again but I need to be specific to give you a sound diagnosis, so as to not get you wrong pls explain -

What you mean when you say it fires & hits

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for a good spark at the terminals of the plug in use?

Is battery good? (12.7v min with no load)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is new and it has proper voltage.
It also has a strong spark. It has a new solid type flywheel around the stator installed.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

When you say 'hit' do you mean it fires or backfires?

Does she crank rapidly?

Have you strobed the spark?

Purely for diagnostics :- Try spraying starter fluid into the airbox with the choke OFF (if fitted) & throttle open a crack. Does she fire up momentarily?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the starter fluid thing already. It started and ran momentarily.
It doesn't crank rapidly at all.
I have not strobed the spark.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Slow cranking is a problem!

Please let me know the voltage across the battery terminals with ignition OFF (no load), ign & lights ON & then while cranking (3 values)

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

As she started, although momentarily, with starter fluid the problem would seem to be fuel related or slow cranking

Will she crank faster with a jump?

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

So if you feel you should give me a low rating, please contact me 1st & I will strive to reverse that feeling

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc