Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

Starr 1700 will not charge the battery Have 50 volts A/C at

Customer Question

starr 1700 will not charge the battery Have 50 volts A/C at the rectifier/regulator unplugged have the ground wire from the reg/rect directly to the neg side of the battery and the charge wire from the reg/rect wired directly to the pos. side of the battery all I get is battery voltage when testing for D/C volts. I also have the stator wires connected directly (solder ) also check the stator to ground for a short
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com
I noticed that your question has not received a response yet and thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question.

My info is somewhat limited on your model but as no one else has responded I will try to help you

Do you still want help with this problem?

Have you checked the reg/rect?

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot hear, see, touch or smell anything so I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have 2 new ones and they both check good with a diode tester
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Is 50vac standard do you know or shall I look into that?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Is this a particular battery, tried any other?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new battery
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Can you let me know the voltage across it with no load & also with engine running pls

Does the voltage rise with the revs at all?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

My thinking is that you have eliminated most possible causes & have paired the system does to 3 components really!

1. The reg/rects both check OK so that is eliminated (unless you have somehow blow the regulator part in both, whereas the rectifier is what normally goes down)

2. The stator is putting out enough volts (still cant find out if 50vac is within spec, the alternator is rated @ 430w)

3. The battery is the only thing left & too many new batteries are duds

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Im gonna be AFK for a short while now

Speak soon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It puts out 80 Ac volts @5000 50 ac volts at idle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Can you let me know the voltage across thebattery with no load & also with engine running pls

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.3 across the battery and no it doesn't rise because if it did it would be charging (
Some)
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK 12.3v is too low!

Should be 12.7 min with no load especially after charging (+ left for 1 hr)

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

will it take a full charge from an external charger?

Does it lose charge overnight?

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Giving an undeserved negative or low rating will also put off other experts from trying to help

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Any joy?