Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

Just had apart my 2000 road 88ci upgraded to 98ci kit 2000

Customer Question

hi just had apart my 2000 road king 88ci upgraded to 98ci kit 2000 miles ago there was a knock in the motor so i toar down to find noise had cam plate cams gear drive and pump looked at a local shop there inspection checked out good. never found noise what adisapoinment after all this now i have it back together i have dots on outer cam and crank gears facing each other the motor turns over but wont start just a backfire. i tried to bring front cylinder to tdc but when it is there the dots wont face each other what am i missing here
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at JustAnswer.com

I noticed that your question has not received a response yet and thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question

My experience on your exact model is somewhat limited but as no one else has responded I will try to help you.

Do you still want help with this problem?

Did you follow a manual during the rebuild?

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot hear, see, touch or smell anything so I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi steve i do want help with the problem i dont have a manuel i know im probaly just missing something simple here
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

So how did you time it please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i set the dots on cam gear facing the crank gear i thought i was suppose to bring front piston to tdc but you caint do that an set the dots towards each other
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

no those dots dont line up at TDC for some reason, but as long as the sprockets line up with their shafts & the outer dots point toward each other then th front is timed, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well something is wrong still i have them dots facing each other just like they were before i originally pulled it apart when u turn the motor over i just keep getting a backfire motor never did this one touch of button
always fired rt up
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

is the rear cam aligned?
have you checked the valve clearances?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i never pulled the cams out of cam plate and its gear driven so there still aligned i have the pushrods adjusted to were there touching with a little pressure still would need a final adjustment
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

If an exhaust valve is being held open at the wrong time it would cause a backfire

The only other cause is a buildup in the exhaust being ignited

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know thats how i know timing is off somehow im familier with other motors but this is my first time in a harley motor. as it spins it continuosly backfires
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

so you took the crank sprocket off I geuss, can you verify that the sprocket is located correctly on crankshaft?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few moments to see if I have a manual for your model

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Very sorry for the delay in replying. There seems to be a network problem with my broadband provider

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

it looked like the router was down but tried a different one, tried logging into the local wifi hotspot, even tried my mobile which connected but wouldnt let me write anything

Anyway I have found 2004 touring models manual - includes FLHR

Is there anything which I can clarify from the manual for you?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris
I'm following up on my unresolved Q&As to see if I can help any further

Did you resolve the problem ? Was my diagnosis correct, valves?

Please put my curious mind to rest!

Feel free to pose any further question on this subject & I will do my best to help !!

Most of my patients get cured & live to run again !
Help improve the health of future biking by posting an update or helping with innovative new treatments

If you want more answers then get back to me with more info please

If I have already helped you then please press accept as that is the only way that I am compensated for my input, your question will stay open for its 7 day lifespan!

Please take the time to rate my service to you, I hope it has been favourable

Thanx

Ride Safe