P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

I'm charley I just adopted a 97 softail custom with a 1340

Customer Question

Hi Steve, I'm charley
I just adopted a 97 softail custom with a 1340 evo motor with a hypercharger. It has been sitting since March this year and it started on first revolution. It ran great all the way home (30 min drive at 50 mph). The only issue I noticed at the time was as I accelerated the motor would sputter at the top end of the gear right before I would shift. Thought it was just carbon build up and maybe it would work itself out. Later that night I took the wife on the back for a first ride and it gradually started to sound worse. It idled fine, maybe a little higher but ok. As soon as I accelerate it would sound really shaky and little power. Temp stayed below 200. My thoughts were to clean the carb. And remove all old gas in tank, lines, and filter.
My question is in your opinion do you think this could be a solution? What else could it be? I replaced both spark plugs that night and nothing changed. I am very mechanically savvy. So I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, just don't want to waste time or money... thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

I'd say you're on the right track. I'd drain the fuel from everything first and see if it clears up before removing the carb. It could just be water or debris in the fuel.

If that doesn't fix it then pull the carb and tear into it.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks pj. I am going to attack it tomorrow. I'll be in touch to let you know how it goes.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If and when I clean the carb, and if it still has the same problems, what else could be the issue?
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

If fuel all is well in the carburetor then you could have a leak in the intake manifold or anther vacuum port open.

It could also be an ignition issue, bad plug or wire, coil, etc.

It could also be something mechanical such as a sticky lifter or a valve seating problem. There are many possibilities that would cause sputtering and/or misfiring while running.

It can be tough to find. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks, P.J.