Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 2007 Kawasaki mule 3010 trans 4x4, the other day it

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Kawasaki mule 3010 trans 4x4, the other day it wouldn't start so I jump started it then it wouldn't start again so I put in a new battery. But before I did I washed the engine off with gunk and the battery box area because it was filthy. Waited for it to dry then installed battery. Ran fine until I shut it off (heard what sounded like a fan running ) for about 30 seconds after shutoff. Then turned jet and nothing. Like bat was dead again. Waited 5 min then tried again and it fired up, thoughts?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** you to do s few checks, I would like you to give me a compression measurement and pull the plugs and insert the plugs into the caps and lay them on the engine block and lets see if you have spark ? if you can get back to me with those checks that will get us going on the right direction.

Also can you give me the hours on the unit ???

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
first, the hours on the unit are unknown. I bought it used, the meter says 47 hours, but the guy I bought it from said that was broken and his guess was maybe 300 hours. I have no idea if he was honest about that or not.The other day when I changed the battery out and ran it for a bit then shut it down a fan came on and ran for maybe 10 seconds, which I'd never heard before, but maybe its supposed to do that. Then I tried to restart it and it wouldn't start, and I mean there was nothing. I turned the key to start and nothing, no grinding of starter no nothing. Then I waited five minutes and it started up. I also wondered if when I sprayed it with water hose if I got some water in ignition somewhere or in the spark plug cap, but that would eventually dry out wouldn't it? Especially with a hot engine running right?Secondly, I checked the spark plug and that seemed fine. I didn't notice any water in spark plug cap either. What is happening is this, the other day I changed the battery, I washed off the engine and the battery box area with water hose. Installed the new battery, and cranked it up. it seems to run as long as i pull the choke out and leave it out for a bit until it warms up, then i push the choke in. Sometimes when I press on the gas pedal (with choke off at idle) it will go dead. Sometimes when its just sitting and idling it will go dead, like the idle isn't set high enough. So I adjusted the idle screw to try and make it idle a little faster so it would stop going dead. Now when I crank it up (and I have to still use choke when its cold) it seems to idle about the same until it warms up, then it idles really high, until I press the gas and rev it up and release it, then it will idle low, like the linkage between gas pedal and wherever that goes is sticking a bit or something I'm not sure why the idle is so inconsistent. I also noticed some popping at the muffler end kind of not running as smooth as it should. What else should I try?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back, so not know the hours and the service records this is where I would start. Answer to your question, is Yes you might have got water into an area that is giving you a problem. You might try getting something like CRC to dissipate some of the water or moisture, running the unit and getting heat will eventually dry things up.

It sounds like you have a few issues, first off you probably have a carburetor that needs some cleaning, before you run off and clean the carb you need to probably pull the fuel tank and drain it and inspect what's inside, Mules unfortunately seem to always are a good source for contaminated fuel systems, if you were to find excessive foreign material in the tank that would be enough to move forward and clean the entire fuel system and that would include professionally cleaning the carburetor.

Next I would replace spark plugs and check the valve clearance if its not already been performed, also getting a compression reading on both cylinders, that will give you a good baseline.

Now when the unit got hot, and then quit would give me an indication that you might have something going on with one of the ignition components, such as pick-up coil and or ignition coil, not to concerned about the igniter as that is usually not of a characteristic of the igniter failing.

You need to set the idle when the unit is at operating temperature, that's how these are set up, when you get such a variance on that with the idle turned up indicates that you have some tight valves and or fouled up fuel system. Also when tending to the fuel system you need to go to your local chain auto parts store and pick up an additive made by Chervon, grab a bottle of Techron that will decarbon this engine, it actually works really well.

Well I gave you a few things to get us started, I believe that my history with Mules, one of these things will likely fix you issue. Let me know if this helps or you have further questions, I'll be glad to get back.

Thanks

Kenny