Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I recently bought a 2009 Road Classic (sold my '09 E-Glide

Customer Question

I recently bought a 2009 Road King Classic (sold my '09 E-Glide this spring, prefer RK). This is my 4th HD. Owned it 3 mo''s, just road around town occasionally. Three days ago, took it on Interstate 1st time. I n ceased vibration the faster I went. Finally, at 70mph, had to bring it back to 55 just til next exit. Windshield was soouncing so bad, couldn't focus on on. Independent dealer I bought it from had brand new HD OE tires put on it.
Suggestions?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

The first check would be the balance of the wheel assemblies and the radial and lateral runout. If you have spoke wheels you should also check for loose spokes. If this is something you would like to try yourself I can help you. The runout measurements can be done on the bike. The balance takes a stand of some sort (there are commercially available stands on the market) with roller bearings on it.

Once you eliminate the tires and wheels as the problem the next check would be the rubber motor mounts. They can deteriorate over time and they lose the ability to dampen engine vibrations.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.