RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

When I am in neutral and turn the throttle, or if I place my

Customer Question

When I am in neutral and turn the throttle, or if I place my bike in gear, it stalls.
What could be the problem? I own a Yamaha XVS1100.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I would like a bit more clarification. I have heard of both symptoms, but not at the same time. The throttle description problem sounds like a carb issue. The putting the bike in gear sounds like an electrical problem.

1.) Will the bike sit there and idle just fine until you try to roll the throttle on? Is it on the side stand in Neutral at that time?

2.) When you say put the bike in gear and it stalls, do you mean the instant you click it into gear, the engine quits or do you mean it will idle in gear but when you try to ride it it will quit?

3.) Has the bike been sitting un-used for awhile?

4.) How long has the bike had these symptoms?

Let me know.

Thanks,

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) With the choke at least half open, Yes. Choke closed, no, it sputters and stalls. This is when on the side stand or stood up in neutral.
2) Instantly when I put into gear.
3) Yes, about 3 months, but the gas was replaced about 2 weeks ago.
4) about 2 weeks
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

We may have two problems going on here, but I want to attack the obvious problem first. The carbs have plugged up pilot jets. If a bike sits for more than 30 days with gas in the carbs, it evaporates and leaves a shellac type substance behind that plugs up the tiny orifice in the pilot jets. When you have to turn the choke on to get it to idle (somewhat) you are providing an alternate fuel source which essentially bypasses the pilot jets, allowing the bike to run.

You will have to take the float bowls off the carbs and carb removal is mandatory. You will have to take off the fuel tank to access the carbs. Use some caution if the float bowl screws are so tight that they want to strip. If that is the case, use an impact driver (preferably Snap On because they work so much better than any other brand, esp. the cheap chrome ones) and break all the screws loose. Once they are loose you can remove them with a screwdriver.

Remove the float bowls and all the jets. Here is a diagram that shows the break down:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahamc&a=526&b=10&c=0&d=2006%20V%20STAR%201100%20CLASSIC%20CARBURETOR

Reference #18 is the jet you are primarily concerned with cleaning, but since we have them off and apart, we are going to hit them all. A good way to clean them is soak them in Pine Sol. Cut the pine sol 2 parts of Pine Sol to 1 part of water. You can put the jets in the float bowls and fill the float bowls with the cut pine sol. Keep an eye on them and soak them until the brass looks clean again. Rinse with water until all signs of pine sol are gone. Put the jets back in the carb bodies and sync the carbs. Sync is a critical step because even spotlessly cleaned carbs will not operate properly if they are out of sync.

After you get the carbs cleaned and synced, lets move on to re-addressing the stalling when put in gear. Make sure when you sync carbs that the idle is set at about 1000 RPMS. An idle that is too low could cause the symptoms of stalling when kicked into gear, although it is not the only possibility by a long shot.

Let me know how you get on with that and where we are at.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RSRBOB,
I was able to get the motorcycle to not stall when in neutral and I figured out why it stalled immediately when I put it in gear. It was a simple reason. Since I was worrying about the stalling in neutral, when I stood up the bike, I would keep the kickstand down. Thus, when I put the bike in gear, the engine stalled. When I put the kickstand up, no issues. Thanks for the assistance.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Glad you sorted that out. Unfortunately not being able to see what you are doing, I would not have known that. Sounds like all is well now. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks

RSRBOB