Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

Have a 2011 Polaris 550 sportsman... Paid to get this

Customer Question

Have a 2011 Polaris 550 sportsman... Paid to get this problem fixed...worked fine...at home for s couple of weeks...now on a trail ride 300 miles from home....guess what.... Same problem.... Fortunate that I made it back to the camp... Engine and starter would not shut down when I returned back to camp...had to take the battery cable off. I think it's got to be a short in the keyed switch. My paperwork is at home...but I don't remember anything being done about the switch..... I've got to figure a way to start it and get it loaded in my rv... Or go buy a winch....
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what was done to fix this 1st time ?

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Ratings apply solely to the service an expert gives you, they do not apply to JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I send you a picture of the repair description?
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Sure upload it to Mediafire or similar & send me the link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May be a bit too technical for me...here is the basics of what they did:
1. Replaced the IAC
2. Adjusted the solenoid wires ( noted that the wires were crossed and touching each other)
3. Diagnostic unit (doesn't indicate a repair or replacement)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I had to disconnect the battery cable to get it to stop the starter from turning over....I thought I may be able to connect the cable back to the battery...with the switch off... Nope..starter engages, turns engine over..Smh
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Ill bet it was just the solenoid cables touching & this is what is happening again

The cable insulation is probably worn away or the cables are pinched together, most likely where they go rond the headstock (where the handlebars pivot)

Follow the cables from ign.switch to starter solenoid & find where the white/red toches another wire

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

I trust that has answered your question satisfactorily

Please take the time to rate my service to
you, I hope it has been favourable
Negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here, so if you feel you should give me a low rating, please contact me 1st & I will strive to reverse that feeling

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

you, I hope it has been favourable

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds plausible... Hopefully I can check that tomorrow when I have light...
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK let me know please

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi Charles
I'm following up on my unresolved Q&As to see if I can help any further

Did you resolve the problem ? Was my diagnosis correct ?

Feel free to pose any further question on this subject & I will do my best to help !!

Most of my patients get cured & live to run again !
Help improve the health of future biking by posting an update or helping with innovative new treatments

If you want more answers then get back to me with more info please

If I have already helped you then please press accept as that is the only way that I am compensated for my input, your question will stay open for its 7 day lifespan!

Please take the time to rate my service to you, I hope it has been favourable
Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc