Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2007 Polaris sportsman ranger I was driving

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Polaris sportsman ranger I was driving yesterday when it died. I went to get it today to load it up and it turned over and started but kept dieing wasn't running good enough to load. I have a shop and tools to trouble shoot but don't really know theSteps I should take.
I don't think it's fuel because it died and wouldn't turn over I thought it was seized.
It wasn't seized because it did turn over this morning and it started.
It did seem like it was beginning to turn over harder and harder as it warmed up.
It seamed as though the compression is building up but I don't think that even a broken calve could do that.
The battery is about 2 months old.
I thought it might be the charging system but it turned over fine this morning and so I think that should be enough juice to run it and it wouldn't have died.
Suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, fusible link(s), connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Still, proposed further checks (again if have not been done) on the possibility of over/under-voltage, regulator/rectifier and/or stator issue. With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• • ignition OFF (~12.7V) and then when ON (~12.0V) ;
  • • when starting the engine (~11.0V) ;
  • • engine at idle (~12.9V) ;
  • • when attempting to rev the engine (~14.5V) .