Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 1998 Sportster 1200 and when I am in gear and use

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Sportster 1200 and when I am in gear and use my engine to decelerate, there is a grinding noise that comes from my engine. I can feel the grinding vibrations in my right foot peg. I would assume it is coming from the primary but I am not positive. It does not happen while accelerating and it also stops when I pull in the clutch. It only happens when engine braking. Any ideas? Thanks!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

it is hard to tell from that description.

the first thing I would do is remove the primary inspection cover ( the small oval one....not the big round one) and check the primary chain tension. if it is too loose, you may be hearing the chain slap the chaincase during decel, but it won't do that during acceleration.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thanks Steve. I will check it out tonight and let you know. Oh a little more information for you... After I take the bike down the block and it does the grinding thing, I pull it back in the garage and while it is still running, I try to shift it into neutral or first and it is almost impossible to find neutral for some reason. When I kill the bike, then it will shift back into neutral or another gear with no problems. I don't know if this information will help, but I thought it rather odd. I will check the primary chain tension tonight and report back.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

your shifting issue is due to a misadjusted clutch.

you need to perform the CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT and the CLUTCH CABLE ADJUSTMENT.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so these are 2 separate issues then. I will adjust the clutch then as well. Thanks.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

99.98% of the time, trouble shifting into neutral indicates the clutch is out of adjustment.

if the primary chain is loose as well, it indicates the bike is not being properly serviced per the service manual maintenance schedule.....which would explain both issues.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve