Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2009 Suzuki C109R I am the 2nd owner. Issue on a

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Suzuki C109R I am the 2nd owner. Issue on a long run the bike dies upon slowing down and letting off throttle after that the bike is very hard starting (dead battery). The first time this happened I got the bike started back up had to stay on the throttle it was the end of a long run 1021 miles got to the station fueled bike up started it again and it went to a high idle and would not come down almost as it choke was on but this is FI. Got the bike home that night and replaced the battery the next day still same issue. The bike was recalled in 2011 for the rectifier. I checked the voltage and off the batt is at 13.2 start the bike up and it come up a little rev the bike and hold it at a high rpm draws batt down below 13 and into the 11 range. Everything I have researched says and sounds like I have a rectifier issue again is there a way to know for sure? Also the bike is NOT coding any faults just FI light is on.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring as a preliminary consideration. Have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• • ignition OFF - 12.7V is good and then when ON - 12.5 is good;
  • • when starting the engine - 11.0V is good;
  • • engine at idle - 12.9V is good;
  • • when attempting to rev the engine - 14.5V is good.