Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2002 rubicon code 5 is the only code in esp shifts fine

Customer Question

2002 rubicon code 5 is the only code in esp shifts fine until u shift to fourth gear then it goes to limp mode. Turn off switch and restart and it's fine until u go above 3rd gear. In d1 and d2 it is fine until you reach a certain speed then the same thing ECM has been replaced and angle sensor also . Angle sensor on bottom side reads 625 ohms and top is 1625 ohms. Removed shift motor and rotated internal gear be hand to get ohm readings. If I hold the shift motor in place and shift it in esp it sounds like the motor travel a long way between 2nd and 3rd when u shift to 4th u can feel the motor move a little and then it feels like it is reaching the end of the ball nut
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to perform reset procedure but not working, after the up- down - up on shifter I hear the shift motor cycle before I press and release the throttle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This issue here may be a fault of an internal failure in the gear box/transmission itself.If the shift motor is over shifting or isn't shifting properly and you have replaced the ECM and angle sensor already I would have the gear box inspected to see if a mechanical fault is found with it needing repaired or in some cases replaced.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Transmission and auto transmission have been checked and found to be ok. Auto trans unit swashplates are moving as they should
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what code(s) are setting with this issue at all here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Code 5 is the only code and it only sets the code after you try to go to 4th gear
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,your next check is to check the wires between the ECM and the battery to see if they are o.k. and the ECM and control motor.I would also check wiring at the angle sensor to see if any issues are found.With what is done here this sounds like this could be a wiring issue causing this here needing repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a service manual for this machine I run the flow chart for code 5 i.e. Checking power and ground at 5 pin connector and angle sensor wiring at 34 pin connector all was good
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you follow the complete flow chart to see what the fault leads to at all and if so is this a component that it leads to that you replaced or repaired that did not correct this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Followed the chart and at the end it said to replace the angle sensor so I did the resistance on the angle sensor from stop to stop on the swash plates and it is in spec I can not get the results that I should have when I do the initialize process
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I don't see any tech. service bulletins on this issue here myself but if you have gone through the diagnostics properly and this issue is still not resolved and you cannot get the results needed for the initialization I suspect this is what is causing this here.A dealer may know of a common issue with the initialization process possibly a different procedure that needs done as I have seen before on some models.You might check and see if they know of any common faults on why this isn't initializing as I suspect this is why it isn't corrected yet.Most likely the angle sensor was the cause and it is possible either there is another procedure that needs done to learn it in or that the new replacement was faulty out of the package and needs replaced again.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I am going to take it to the dealer and let them give it a shot
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete