P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

2009 FLTR w/ ABS, 40k mi. Brake problem. Changed rear brake

Customer Question

2009 FLTR w/ ABS, 40k mi.
Brake problem. Changed rear brake pads, old pads were completely worn to the backing plate. After the pad replacement the brake pedal was very hard to push so I took pads out and reinstalled. Pedal action got better, but still not correct. After a long ride, I parked it for a couple weeks. After it sat for two weeks, not the pedal doesn't move at all (maybe with alot of force, but i didn't want it to get stuck and cause further problems. Prior to the pad replacement, the brakes worked perfectly EXCEPT that the day prior to replacing the pads, the brake pedal was hard to push (why I took the caliper off in the first place). Just coincidence the pads were shot??
Any idea what this might be? In searching other sites, the ABS module was a suspect.
Also, after pad replacement, the front brakes chatter like the rotor is warped but it was fine prior to pad replacement. I'm getting ready to take the calipers off again and clean everything with brake cleaner which I didn't do before.
Please help, I really don't want to take to the dealership and pay the big $$.
Thanks,
Tom
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, just removed rear caliper & cleaned everything real good. Pistons seem to be working properly, not stuck. When pushing the pedal, it was still very difficult to push. I stomped on it really hard and there was some movement but it appears to be in the pedal? master cylinder? or ABS related?
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

It certainly could be ABS related.

The easiest way to tell is to disconnect the line from the master cylinder and push the pedal. If the pedal operates normally and you know the caliper pistons are free then the problem is most likely in the ABS motor.

There can be difficulty with air entering the ABS system that cannot be bled out. Back before I had a computer capable of operating the ABS motor I used to crack the banjo on top of the ABS motor to bleed a particular line before the air makes it into the ABS motor.

If all this doesn't work then you don't have many options other than finding a shop with a computer than can test operate the ABS motor to verify it is working properly.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.