Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Have an SS Super Carbi on my 1340 85 Fat Bob would

Customer Question

Have an SS Super Carbi on my 1340 85 Fat Bob would appreciate any advice on how I go about adjusting the air mixture t
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

I can help you with that. The idle air mixture screw is the large brass screw on the top of the carb.

• Begin by turning the screw clockwise (in) until it lightly seats. Be very careful to not overtighten as it is easily damaged.
  • Back the screw out 1.5 turns for a beginning setting. If your jet sizes are correct this should be very close the final setting.
  • Start the bike and let it idle for a minute or two to warm up.
  • Now turn the screw clockwise again until the bike begins to stumble or quit. Note the position of the screw.
  • Then turn the screw counterclockwise until the bike begins to stumble or quit. Note the position of the screw.
  • Now set the screw halfway between the two points noted above.
  • Do this several times to make sure you've found that center point.
  • Reset the idle speed, ride the bike to get it up to operating temperature, then reset the idle speed again.
  • You may need to go through this procedure a couple times to get comfortable with it but it only takes a quick minute to do once you've figured it out.

If it doesn't want to adjust properly then you likely have a damaged screw. It takes a very, very small variation in the taper on the end of the screw to not allow a proper adjustment. Also, if the screw is more than 2 turns out when that middle point is found then you probably have too large of jet sizes and need to work that out first.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.