Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I've got a 1999 Harley Sportster 883 hugger. Just bought it

Customer Question

I've got a 1999 Harley Sportster 883 hugger. Just bought it and noticed that all the fuel lines are dry rotted and need to replace it. I looked into my repair manual but no fuel routing diagram. Though maybe you can help?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

There is only one fuel line on your bike.

It runs directly from the petcock down behind the air cleaner backing plate and connects to the carburetor inlet fitting. The fuel line should have a piece of nylon insulating tubing around it as well.

The carburetor inlet fitting is very fragile and is easily cracked so be careful with it.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I see about 5 fuel lines and 4 oil lines. I think some of these lines are for emission and some for fuel return but what is what I don't know.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

I'm guessing you are looking at a combination of vacuum, emission (if the bike is a California bike), and oil lines.

I'll try to get you routing diagrams for all of the above and hopefully that will help. If you can attach some pictures of what you see I can probably help you identify them.

Also, is there a reason you can't follow the routing as the lines are currently installed? Are you concerned they are not correct now?

Thanks, P.J.