Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2001 sportster 1200 XL model. bought it..it had

Customer Question

I have a 2001 sportster 1200 XL model. bought it..it had 7950mi on it. I now have 15,000 plus. The original owner put a K&N air filter on it and S&S mufflers, but did not re-jet the carb. It ran great, but I always thought..way too hot! so I took it in to a harley shop and they did the 10,000 mi. service to it and re-jetted the carb supposedly to match the after market intake and exhaust.I took a 1200mi trip on it in July and again...it runs great..but blistering hot and I get alot of "blowby" I've been told "it could be just that bike" Well..it still concerns me. Anything I can do to cool her down?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I do have a question for you. What are you calling blow by? When a technician hears the term blow by, immediately he thinks of the combustion gases passing by the rings and entering the crank case, as evidenced by a blackening of the piston below the rings. I suspect you have not removed your pistons to investigate this problem so what do you mean by blow by?

Thanks

RSRBOB

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

What exactly did you mean by blow by?