Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I left my ignition turned on an hour and only got cranking

Customer Question

Hi Richard, I left my ignition turned on for about an hour and only got cranking after that. I tried to choke and get it going, but the cranking just reduced until there was only the clicking sound, then nothing. Tried jumping it with a car, then got a new battery, and still no sound when I press the starter. Any advice? I really appreciate it!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially (and if have not been tried), the prescribed preliminary approach would be; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a primary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and/or just for purposes of eliminating it as a suspect).

Additionally, check the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Carefully but quickly/momentarily, jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:

• • if no starter action, then starter motor highly suspect;
  • • if starter would clack loudly, then a possible internal problem;
  • • if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;
  • • if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter relay and/or its wiring/interlocks issue.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.