TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

My Honda 650 will not shift into neutral therefore I can't

Customer Question

My Honda 650 will not shift into neutral therefore I can't start it. why?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

Does the shift lever move thru forward, reverse and neutral but does not indicate neutral on the dash display. or does the shift lever not move at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will shift forward to drive and back to reverse with indicator light for both lighting up. No indicator for neutral, shows "- - -"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solution?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to a parts diagram for reference:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondaatv&a=186&b=16&c=0&d=-CRANKCASE-COVER---REAR

there is a switch on the rear engine cover #13 switch assembly change that moves with the shift drum as it rotates. The switch is just a ground that signals the ecu what gear the transmission is in and the ecu signals the display what position to indicate. The first thing to check is the wire connector for the switch. Unplug it and verify that the connectors are clean, dry, free of corrosion then reassemble. If there is still no neutral indicator on the display then try unplugging the connector again and use a jumper wire to ground the light green/red wire on the harness side of the connector. this should cause the neutral indicator to come on. If it does then the switch is defective which can be confirmed by using an ohm meter to check the light green/red wire on the switch side of the connector. It should show contunity to ground when in neutral and no contunity when not in neutral.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try this, as soon as I can get back in the woods, where the atv is chained to a tree.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

OK, just add a reply if you need further assistance.