Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Motorcycle has been sitting with a full tank of gas I have

Customer Question

Motorcycle has been sitting for awhile with a full tank of gas I have been cranking it every once in awhile to keep the battery charged, but it runs erratic. Skipping, should I drain gas tank. What's the best way to do this.?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** most definitely drain the tank, if you can get to the float bowl drain screws and drain the float bowls, unfortunately you might be a little too late, as todays fuels become unstable in as little as a month or two. What you can try is go to your local Home Depot and in the gardening section where the lawn mower accessories are located you will find an additive called "Mechanic in a Bottle" mix that to the recommended mixture or the strongest recommended for dirty carburetors, follow the directions and see if that will help your runnability issue, it actually works if they are not really dirty.

Now if its still has idling issues and or doesn't want to take throttle then you will need to have the carburetors pulled and professionally cleaned. If you are going to try thid additive remember give it a few days as it will work as it sits, and remember that you have to get he additive into the float bowls by way of running the engine.

Let me know if this helps and or you have further questions

Thanks

Kenny