Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Kawasaki atv 360 prairie, Runs great to it gets hot then

Customer Question

Kawasaki atv 360 prairie, Runs great to it gets hot then cuts off, let it cool and it will start and run good until it gets hot
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** it starts to act up, is that amount of time relatively the same every time ? Also you have access to a multi-meter ? Can I get the year on your unit?

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks when this generally happens most of the time it points to the pick-up coil which is located on the l/h side of the engine adjacent to the flywheel, since he crank sensor is surrounded by oil and excessive heat they have a fairly high failure rate, and with the symptom that you are exhibiting point to that component. I'm going to give your some static numbers you can check when the engine is cold and then if you can et the unit hot where it starts to act up and then check it when the unit gets hot. So you want to see if the numbers fall out of spec verses hot and cold readings.

So get a couple of safety pins as you will use them to probe through the wires for the pick-up coils. I will give you the resistance valves and then I'll also give you VAC, meaning you will measure the AC output of the pick-up coil when turning the engine, also if you can follow the wires up from the stator you can simply unplug the connector and measure there instead of probing through the wires. This is the best place to start, depending on the numbers you get will determine if the test is conclusive.

Find the 2 pin plug from the stator, wire colors BK/W (black with white tracer)and the BL (blue) wires.

Resistance (ohms) 110-140

VAC 3.6 and above

Lets start here, if this test passes then we'll move onto the next, let me know what you come up with and we'll move forward if need be.

Kenny