Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

2004 honda shadow spirit 1100 vt1100 c... t the starter

Customer Question

2004 honda shadow spirit 1100 vt1100 c... hit the starter button and heard a pop. sounded like a fuse blowing. all fuses check out good but now christmas tree does not light up, nothing and no starter action. suspect starter magnetic switch 'blew'. any way to test it ??? thanks and be gentle. i'm not a tech, just a shade tree.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

There is a main 30 amp fuse located on the starter relay that is probably blown. Here is a link to a parts diagram for reference:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=556&b=7&c=0&d=-ELECTRICAL---BATTERY

The relay is #8 and the fuse is #20. If the fuse blows again after replacement then there is a short somewhere in the wiring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told you that ALL fuses wringe out good, that includes the 5 10 amps and the 1 main 30 amp I even replaced the main, 30 amp, and the christmas tree still does not light when ignition goes on. so, there evidently is a problem after the starter magnetic switch but before the 5 10 amp that power all the systems. I'm very disappointed so far. Either I'm not communication effectively or you're not listening/reading effectively. wanna try again or do we just need to cancel membership ???
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out.

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

Do you still want help with this problem?

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at Just Answer.
I noticed that your question has not received a decent response yet and thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question.

My info is somewhat limited on your model but as no one else has responded I will try to help you.

If at any time you feel that I can't help with this please dont rate my service, just let me know and I can open this question to all experts. Giving a low or negative rating will put off other experts from answering

Ratings apply solely to the expert, they do not apply to this website JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Thanx

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot see, hear, touch or smell anything & I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

How good is the battery?

Do you have a multimeter to check it out?

If so pls let me know the battery voltage