Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I just rode a 2003 road star with only 4700 miles on it but

Customer Question

I just rode a 2003 road star with only 4700 miles on it but there was a very noticeable vibration coming thru the seat and the foot rest at most all speeds. Is there a way to get rid of this issue or at least reduce it? Thank you
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

assuming that the wheels are balanced correctly then the 1st thing I'd check is for a tyre defect - any cracks or bulges on the side-wall of the tyre (inside and outside) these will throw the tyre out of shape and produce vibration - take a good look over the tyre sidewalls and bear in mind that anything that looks suspect when static will probably be ballooning out and far worse at speed so if any doubt then replace the tyre.

One other thing to check for which isn't covered by a balance check is out of round or bent wheels, if you use a dial gauge on the axle to measure the run out on the wheel rim this will ensure that the wheels are round and true

also check the condition of the headstock bearing as excessive play here leads to vibration

and if thats OK check the chain for free and easy movement as any tight links will give a rough ride

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that really helps me out
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

glad to help

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.