P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Price i have a 2001 88ci gen 2 motor comp release buttons in

Customer Question

Customer: gary price i have a 2001 88ci gen 2 motor comp release buttons in a prostreet motorcycle what starter does this take mine works but I think its tired
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i purchased a hd starter like evo from e bay wondering it it will work
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Motorcycle Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: go ahead i will look see on what chrome starter i bought
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that would be a rev tech motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok what I have to be delivered ultima 2.4 kw side post thunder fire heavy duty chrome starter fits 89-06 Harley bt part# *****
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not completely sure what your question is but I can offer the following.

With an 88 cubic inch RevTech engine that has compression releases installed you can run any starter down to a stock 1.4 kw. The reduction in compression afforded by the releases drops cylinder pressures to below stock.

The 2.4 you've ordered is more than strong enough to spin your engine. The post orientation is completely dependent on the bike that the drivetrain is installed in. The side post is most common and will likely be fine. To be sure that the starter runs at is maximum potential and does not overheat you'll want to be sure to use heavy gauge cables and a high quality battery producing greater than 300 CCA. Small cables and/or a weak battery will cause that large of a starter motor to overheat and reduce the life of it.

I hope this helps, thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the batter is 2 mo old and I have stock good condition cables the ground crimp end I remade with a hydroclic crimp tool which is better than stock.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Those should work just fine. Make sure the ground goes directly to the rear starter mounting bolt and not just to the frame of the bike. That ground connection is absolutely necessary and often overlooked.

Best of luck. Thanks, P.J.