gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Should oil spay out of a KTM 525 if the oil cap is removed

Customer Question

should oil spay out of a KTM 525 if the oil cap is removed while running
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

why would you do this? There are moving parts in there, slinging the oil all over, DOING THEIR JOB! Of course you will get oil out the hole.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a prospective buyer start it up and take the oil cap off. Oil sprayed out. He said there are big problems with the bike. the engine needs to be rebuilt. You should be able to take the cap off with no pressure forcing the oil out. I have never tried to do this so was not sure if he had a point. We ride every year in Colorado and did not believe there were any problems with it.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I understand what he is saying, thinking that if the rings are worn that crankcase pressure would build up and spray oil out- but you have to take into account the moving parts in there too. Take a look with the engine not running, and see if you have any kind of baffle that would keep oil from slinging out with the engine running, or if there are spinning parts directly under the cap.

There's always another buyer...

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

..