Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

I have a ktm 350 exc that will crank but won't actually kick

Customer Question

I have a ktm 350 exc that will crank but won't actually kick over. Changed the battery to give it some more life but still only cranks. Changed the fuel too
The manual is a bit rubbish so not sure what next? Cheers
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

is it fuel injected or carb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is EFI
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

so have you checked the fuel pressure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. How do I do that? I am out on a farm so not close to a town especially KTM dealer
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

go to a parts store get you a fuel pressure gauge it connects to the fuel rail on the motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said I am in a farm. 4hrs from nearest town. The bike has only done 30 odd hours and was running fine a few weeks prior then this issue. Can anything to do with build up on the electric circuit? Cheers
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

My name is***** am a professional here at Just Answer.

I noticed that your expert has opted-out & thought I would see if you still want the problem diagnosed.
I apologize for the delay and hope I can assist you with your question.

My info is somewhat limited on your model but as no one else has responded I will try to help you.

If at any time you feel that I can't help with this please dont rate my service, just let me know and I can open this question to all experts. Giving a low or negative rating will put off other experts from answering

Ratings apply solely to the expert, they do not apply to this website JustAnswer.com or its policies.

Do you still want help with this problem?

Do you have basic tools & a multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for jumping in on this.
Have tools and multimeter.
It cranks fine but appears to lack an ignition point. Fuel is flowing and all seems to be ok.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

By "appears to lack an ignition point" do you mean that theres no spark?

If so how did you check for a spark please?

Purely for diagnostics :- Try spraying starter fluid into the airbox with the choke (if present) OFF & throttle open a crack. Does she fire up momentarily?

Please dont rate my service before giving me a chance to help you, negative (low) ratings are taken seriously here & I will try my best to help you as much as I can (for both our sakes)

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to have to ask what may seem like stupid questions, but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, I cannot see, hear, touch or smell anything & I have only what a customer tells me to make a correct diagnosis.
Also I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask stuff which may seem obvious or unrelated

What is the battery voltage with ignition on, off & cranking please?

Has she been laid up for more than a couple of months or at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries on the questions.
Was laid up for about a month.
Brand new battery put in when I could not start. Not taken much notice but I do think the volts drop off a bit when cranking
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Can you check the voltacges please?

With ignition on (no load), off & cranking