Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I have a 2007 yamaha rhino 660 it just stopped running so we

Customer Question

I have a 2007 yamaha rhino 660 it just stopped running so we cleaned the fuel pump put it back on and it ran for about 5 minutes then stopped again and now it want cracker at all just turns over
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** sure if understand your question ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2007 yamaha rhino 660 it was running fine but it just stopped running we cleaned the fuel pump and then it ran for about 5 minutes then stopped now all it does is turn over and back fire it has fuel and a good spark
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info, has anyone checked the compression ? When you say your cleaned the "fuel pump" can you elaborate a little more on that and was anything done with the carburetor ?

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has good compression cleaned the crab but it was spotless and all we did to the pump was cleaned it out but it was spotless to just doesn't make since it was running great and just stopped running
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the number on the compression ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
140
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

How many hours or miles on the unit ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1668 miles and 968 hours
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK compression is a little below spec, STD range is 188-210, usually fall about 180-190 depending on how much dirt the engine has ingested. With the miles hours you have you should have checked your valve clearance at least twice ?

Now you need to check the vacuum on the fuel pump, pull the line off the carb where the fuel pump is getting its vacuum from and pull vacuum on that line, what you are checking is the pump diaphragm, if it doesn't hold vacuum then that says that the diaphragm inside the pump is no good and the fuel pump is not operating and needs to be replaced.

If that checks OK then my suggestion would run an external fuel tank and gravity feed the carb, this will eliminate the fuel pick up, lines and everything up to the carb, if the engine will start, then you have a problem with fuel delivery to the carburetor.

So if your valves have not been checked recently then I suggest that can be the cause of your low compression. What I gave you is a process that will eliminate some possibilities, we might have to go further but you need to perform what I suggested if its not been done, if not I cant guarantee that we will come up with a fix.

Thank Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can rule that out just did it and that didn't work
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Rule what out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump I done the bolt trick so we know it has fuel
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

What is the "bolt trick" ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bad bottle with gas
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK I'm going back to your original request, it takes three important things that an internal combustion engine needs to run,

• 1) Fuel
  • 2) Compression
  • 3) Timed ignition
  • So we have to have all those things and we cant guess on them, so maybe you need to give a little more detail what happened when it just quit, explain any symptoms leading up to when the engine stopped, by all rights everything you claims is good and you performed leads me to believe then that you have an ignition problem ? Now that is where it becomes very intensive as far as diagnosing, that's why I start with the basics because its usually something there rather in the ignition system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we was riding it sputtered once or twice then ran fine for about 30 minutes then it just shut down
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, then if you have done everything I pointed out that (minus checking the valve clearance) which you never gave me an answer on, you have an ignition problem, you claim you have spark ? So for use to move forward you are going to need a timing light and a multi-meter. Now let me stress again is you need to make sure that you left no stone unturned if we are going to move into this next phase as it will involve some time checking various components. Ignition problems on this model are generally not a problem ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I think it is a timing probably because we have gas white and blue spark on the plug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the cdi box be bad
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I don't think so, you first need to verify the timing, that is where you need to start. You will need to check it with a timing light, you might have a flywheel came loose on the taper and it shured the flywheel key, based on all we went over that is what's coming up in my mind

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank u I will check that when I get back home this evening
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

What you'll need to do just to get an idea, is get some white out (correction fluid) and then turn engine over and get the piston at TDC, then if you can mark either the clutch and or flywheel (anything that's spinning that is attached to the crankshaft) then make a mark on that part and reference to where it was located with the piston at TDC, you will them point the timing light at that white mark as to where it was and it should be close to when the engine was static.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just checked timing and pulled the flywheel to make sure nothing broke so I'm at a loss on this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing is dead on
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, put the flywheel back on and mark the flywheel with a mark when its at top dead center and throw a timing light on it, use the timing light as a spark tester, see if the spark is going away, let me know what it does