gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

2002 polaris 500 ranger series 10 4x4. Loud knock from

Customer Question

2002 polaris 500 ranger series 10 4x4. Loud knock from engine coming from the flywheel side of the engine. I pulled the flywheel cover to check the flywheel. Flywheel was not loose I could not see any play in the crankshaft, in or out or up and down.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

It is possible the flywheel has cracked.I have seen several fly wheels that can crack and cause this noise like this here before with it needing replaced.It may appear tight but until you can get a full look at it its difficult to say for sure if it needs replaced.I would have this checked to see if it is cracked needing replaced for this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete I just pulled the flywheel and there no cracks, and the flywheel retaining nut was definitely torqued down tight. Do you have any suggestions.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is there any play on the flywheel engine side that may indicate an internal engine problem if you pull and push the flywheel up and down or side to side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my last sentence of my original question, I said there was no play side to side or up and down in the crankshaft.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize as I missed that.

The only other thing I can think of here is possibly a damaged crank shaft internally in the engine or worn bearings for the crank shaft.There is a chance this is the transmission side at fault with a transmission/gear box issues but its difficult to say for sure from here without seeing the vehicle.

This will have to be checked/inspected further unfortunately to see if there is an internal mechanical engine fault or if there is an internal engine issue needing resolved.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think this tech was very knowable about Polaris engines. He was no help, I could have got the same information from any back yard gearhead. This was total waste of my time and money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You guys billed my credit card before the "tech" gave me an answer, which was worthless.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line this last weekend.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you had this Polaris for a long time, or is it new to you? These things always sound like they are throwing a rod, even new from the showfloor, and louder as they warm up. Some people have suggested a heavier weight oil, but I am hesitant to recommend that as 0w-40 is what the manufacturer tested it with. You can change the first number (if you are not running in the cold during the winter but a 40 weight is what you should be using.

Check your belt as well, if something is coming apart in there or your belt has cracks it will make a lot of noise.