Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

Kenny I have a 2004 KF X 400 I was playing around the other

Customer Question

Hi Kenny I have a 2004 KF X 400 I was playing around the other day like a jerk doing a burnout and it went up on the rev limiter and then the bike shut off and the temperature light was on I have spark fuel and the coolant level it's full. It cranks but will start - please help
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi thanks for the request, I need you to get a compression gauge and we need to get a compression measurement, if you cant put your hands on a compression gauge and you have a Harbor Freight store locally they have one that is pretty inexpensive gauge, bring your spark plug so you get the right adaptor.

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there is one near me so I'm otw to get one
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Awesome, then post what you get, also remember when checking the compression hold the throttle wide open, this is how the readings are established

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the reading is 45 psi
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks, ***** ***** is a little on the low side, has anyone checked valve clearance on this engine lately ?

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't believe so
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to check clearance ? you will have to remove the valve cover an measure the clearance ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

You might have some carbon build up and that could be holding a valve or valves from closing but in any case you need to make sure that you have the proper clearance, the intake spec is .004-.008 inches and the exhaust is .008-.011 inches, you will need to get a feeler gauge set, and remove the valve cover, then turn the engine over so the (toe) of the cam points away from the shim bucket, then with the feeler gauge measure the clearance between the camshaft and the bucket.

Kenny