Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Polaris atv 2008 efi sportsman - It took 10-15 seconds to

Customer Question

polaris atv 2008 efi sportsman - It took 10-15 seconds to start engine. Checked electrical and everything OK. Found engine compression is 120 to 130 psi! Should be 50-60psi. Also found the fuel line was not pumping gas to engine. So I replaced the fuel pump with a drop in global automotive pump. Now the engine turns over but will not start. Pulled fuel injector and it sprays gas. Sprayed starter fluid in the air intake and the engine starts but eventually runs out of starter spray, so I have a spark. Checked the diagnostics display and no error codes were found. I want an experienced 2008 Polaris atv dealer to get an answer.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only has 2500 miles on it. The valves were checked and they are within tolerance. This problem of not starting only occurred after I changed the fuel pump.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Make sure your replacement pump was compatible with this model here.If it is the incorrect type of pump for this model this issue here can occur as the computer controlled components may be disabling the starting of your model due to the after market pump not being compatible.If this pump is compatible and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said above, the fuel pump once removed from the engine shows that it is pumping gas. So I believe the pump is compatible. I talked with the company (Global Automotive of Miami) that sells the pump and they say they have sold hundreds and he knew of no complaint. I need someone who knows polaris.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here.I saw no one had responded with help so I thought I would see if I could help in any way here.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check the fuel pump's specs and as it should be capable of outputting 25L per hour; and
  • • that the fuel pressure is not less than 39PSI particularly upon immediately switching on the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump specs output 205 liters per hour. The pressure is 95 psi. But the final psi is controlled by the regulator downstream. And as I said, I am getting plenty of gas as out the injector. Need someone who understands the polaris 2008 atv.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand thus I too would opt out.

Still, good luck with the Sportsman.