Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2008 Yamaha Raiders S and it will not crank. I

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Yamaha Raiders S and it will not crank. I tested the battery, and it is registering good. When I try to crank it, a consistent clicking noise occurs. The Motor will not turn at all. I am thinking a potential Starter Motor issue. Please advise the potential problem and someone that does onsite repairs.
Thanks!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) is to check the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Carefully but quickly/momentarily jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:

• • if no starter action, then starter motor highly suspect;
  • • if starter would clack loudly, then a possible internal problem;
  • • if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;
  • • if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter relay and/or its wiring/interlocks issue.

Still and on the "...tested the battery...", please consider a re-test; i.e. measure the battery voltage with a volt/multi-meter when:

• • ignition OFF and then when ON;
  • • when starting the engine.

to test for presence and consistency.

Of course, the prescribed preliminary approach would be; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then load tested (even if new and just for purposes of eliminating it as a suspect).