Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

I have a 2007 Rancher 400 FA. I had a voltage regulator over

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Rancher 400 FA. I had a voltage regulator over charging issue. I replaced the regulator and battery. That system seems fine now. Now my esp flashes. It will not display what gear i'm in or if in auto display a D for drive. When put in reverse the engine misses and it will have trouble moving.It seems to flash once then a pause and flash 12 quick times.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

The Rancher ECM stores the last 2 problem codes displayed by flashing the problem code numbers separated by a pause

It starts with 3 seconds on then 1 second off, then it flashes 1/2 second on - 1/2 second off repeatedly(latest problem), then 1 second off followed by 1/2second flashes (previous problem)

By what you said problem 12 is indicated which is 'ECM motor driver circuit'

To erase the problem code :-

Push the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds or more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e."--" blinking on the gear position indicator),

When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink (2 secs on 3 secs off

Turn the ignition switch OFF.

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

I trust that has answered your question satisfactorily
If you are happy with my diagnosis then please rate my service well (good or above)
This does not close your question, you can still add questions or comments for the 7 day life of your original question
Please do not leave low ratings
If you are not satisfied or you need further clarification contact me

Good Luck

Ride Safe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I applied the information you gave me. It clears for less than 30 seconds and returns to flashing code 12.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

That means it is detecting the fault again

Ill look into it

Thanks for your patience

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting on an answer. I guess I will just have to wait patiently.