Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 98 ktm lc4 540 sxc and if i leave it standing time

Customer Question

hello there, i have a 98 ktm lc4 540 sxc and if i leave it standing for a time it doesnt want to kick over at all, ive tried taking out the spark plug and still no go, the compression release is working ok , can you tell me whats happening and ways to stop it happening again, thanks
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If it is not turning over with this issue here and if this model has the electric start I would check and make sure the battery cables are clean and tiht at the battery itself as well as to where they lead to and connect.I have seen corroded or loose cables cause this type of fault here needing replaced or repaired.If this is not the case on your model here let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete, thanks for your reply, the bike is not an electric starter its kick only, all I can tell you is that it was running fine when I parked her up and I havent run it for about a year I go to start her up and its normally realy easy to start but the kickstert lever wont budge I pull the decomp lever in still no joy, so I take the sparkplug out thinking its a compression problem but still shes locked solid so im at a loss.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If any water had made its way into the engine to where it may have rusted up components in the engine this can cause this here.I have seen in some cases adding a very small amount of oil to the spark plug holes to let it soak on the pistons and cylinder walls can sometimes free this up to allow starting.This needs checked into further to see if this is the cause for this here with it needing lubricated to try and free up components to allow starting.

Thanks Pete