RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

Have a 2000 Honda VLX600 with Cobra Pipes. Bike starts

Customer Question

Hi--have a 2000 Honda VLX600 with Cobra Pipes. Bike starts easily with choke on but cuts out immediately if choke is touched or if throttle is twisted. I am an experienced bike owner and car rebuilder. Gas tank has been removed and cleaned. Carb has been disassembled and cleaned --new float bowl gasket installed, float needle set between tabs verses riding freely on top of upper tab(?) carb had been apart by dealer then the bike sat for a year prior to my purchase. Is there a mixture adjustment on this carb that i fail to see ? Any suggestions?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you had the carb apart did you clean the main jet and passages with compressed air?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lots of carb cleaner and compressed air. Found no dirt or sludge in the carb, The carb is clean as a whistle. When i bought the bike it would start and run with choke full out at idle and would die at the slightest movement of throttle or movement of choke just as it does now. The carb is clean and the bike acts the same as before the cleaning--no change, no effect.

Thanks, ***** ***** know it running at idle with chooke on means it's running lean. Since we know all the paggages are clean the next thing would be float level. Was it set at 18.5mm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The float is a plastic float with no adjustment. I removed the float, pulled out the needle valve, all appeared to be clean and undamaged, reinstalled the needle valve by inserting the retainer grove of the needle valve in the slotted tabs of the float tangs so that the drop of the float pulls the valve open. It would be possible to place the needle valve on top of the float tabs such that the needle valve would drop open by gravity but that goes against all I have ever seen or experienced in rebuilding carbs. Anyway there is no adjustment to the float unless you do vary the needle valve on top of the float tabs. If so that would mean the previous rebuild by the Honda dealer was in error-of course the bike is acting the same way so it could be however the seller had ridden the bike since having that work done.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

I have reviewed the exchange with the previous expert.

The one thing I have not seen is mention of the needle jet being installed upside down.

Here is a parts diagram so I can explain what I mean by referencing numbers in the diagram for you.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=349&b=16&c=0&d=2000%20VT600C%20SHADOW%20VLX%20CARBURETOR%20ASSY.

The needle jet is the part numbered 2. Before you remove it, take the top off the carb and pull the slide out. Look down at the needle jet installed in the carb. You want to see a taper that would feed the needle into the jet. If it is upside down, you will see a convex shape facing up. If you aren't sure whether you are looking at the tapered in end or the convex end, remove the needle jet holder (#26). Now take the needle jet out. You may have to use a punch to push it out. It is a snug fit but not ridiculously tight. Once you have it in your hand, you will notice the difference between the two ends. One is the convex end which is designed to be installed down so it fits perfectly into the needle jet holder's concave design.

This is a fairly common problem among less experienced techs and week end warriors to install that jet upside down.

Give that a shot and let me know if you need more help.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to get a look at your needle jet yet?