P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

Replaced battery cleaned the relay switch and all i still

Customer Question

replaced battery cleaned the relay switch and all i still hear is clicking what could that be i have a 2000 harritage soft tail
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It's possible that the starter solenoid is causing this, or the starter may have too much draw. Also check the battery for a full charge and a load test to insure that it is good. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is good it's a brand-new battery but I don't know how to change the starter off of this bike that is my question how do I change the starter
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

My error, I thought this was a Ford truck, Harley edition. I'll opt out and let a Harley expert take over. Please don't reply back to. Sorry.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

If you're confident the battery is good and the cables are both clean and tight with good terminal ends then the problem is likely caused by burned contacts inside the solenoid, however, the first check is of the starter button relay circuit.

To eliminate the relay circuit as the issue you'll need a heavy gauge jumper wire. Make sure the bike is in neutral. Remove the seat so you can easily access the positive battery terminal. Remove the single green wire attached to the starter solenoid. Using your jumper wire, provide power to the solenoid terminal directly from the battery terminal. If the solenoid and starter are good then the bike will crank properly. If the solenoid still just clicks and does not engage the starter then the problem is likely burned solenoid contacts.

The starter on your bike is a pretty difficult replacement. It requires the removal of the outer primary and the oil tank. There are solenoid rebuild kits available and I would recommend trying that route first. Most times the starter is still good. New solenoid contacts may get you fixed up with much less money and time spent.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.