Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

I bought a Ducati 750ss, the guy who sold me the bike told

Customer Question

I bought a Ducati 750ss, the guy who sold me the bike told me it had clutch sensor problem. Is there a clutch sensor on this bike?
I have the bike home and I put it on a lift stand and I shifted gears, it looked the clutch doesn't work. the gears moved from 1 to 5, but it made a grinding noise as if the gears tried to skip, and they didn't fully engage 100%...that's what I think. Could you give me any answers to this matter, do you think it's the transmission or the clutch? Thank you, Manny.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
Welcome to JustAnswer

What makes you think that the gears didn't fully engage? Does it slip out of gear?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Just checking for clutch sensor on this model

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it didn't slip out of gear, it just sounds like they are not engaged.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

There is no clutch sensor!

Maybe he meant the clutch lever switch

Did you spin the rear wheel or engine to see if the gears would engage fully?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

was the engine running when you performed those tests?

Have you ridden the bike yet?

Sorry to have to ask but it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely & I dont know how proficient a customer is or what they may have done already. So I need to ask questions which may seem obvious or unrelated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you spin the rear wheel or engine to see if the gears would engage fully?"
Yes I did, the are fully engaged when the engine is stopped.No I have not ridden the bike yet.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

If your suspicions are correct then it would be a gear or gear selector problem not a clutch problem

Maybe I'm stupid but I dont understand your concern, unless it is just that what he said has unnerved you

Please set me straight if I have mis-understood

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Please do not rate my service until we have got to a final diagnosis

I cherish my high positive feedback score, so please if you feel that you should give my service a low rating, get back to me & instead I will endeavour to help you further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's the selector as well, because if it's like one gear like first or second it only makes the noise when it engages those gears. but the makes the same noise in all 5 gears, which to me seems like the selector doesn't engage fully on the gears. what is your opinion? change the engine? This engine only has 5600 miles, or repair the original one. If you think to repair which would be best. take the engine off, or keep on the bike.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for all these questions but when I was young i worked for a motorcycle company. I know about engines, but today engines have changed a lot, computers, relays, sensors, etc.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Only 5600 miles is very young, it would be a shame to junk the engine for something which is probably not too serious

Lets try to diagnose this before deciding if the engine should be removed

It may just be a spring on the selector mechanism, or possibly the clutch not fully disengaging

Does the engine try to drag the bike forward when in gear with the clutch lever held in or is it just the noise which seems to be the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the clutch is held and in gear the back wheel continues to go forward.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

A tiny bit of drag is normal for a multiplate clutch, if the wheel can be stopped easily (normally by the weight of the bike) it is not a problem, otherwise the clutch is dragging (not disengaging properly) which could account for the gearchange noise

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the clutch held, and the bike in second gear, the wheel kept spinning and I tried to stop the wheel with light pressure, and the result was the engine shutting down.
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK so the clutch is not disengaging

There could be air in the system, bleed clutch & let me know the result please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will bleed the clutch oil tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Any DOT4 is good to replace the lost oil?
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Yes all DOT 4 is synthetic & will mix with any other DOT 4 brake fluid

I hope that is the answer to this asI feel Ive worked hard for my $13 (my share of your future payment)

Goodnight (its 2:30am here)

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi
I'm following up on my unresolved Q&As to see if I can help any further

Did bleeding the clutch sort it out?

Do you still want help with this problem?

If you are happy with the service that I have given please press ACCEPT & rate my service 3 stars or above(or I don't get paid)

This does not close your question, you can follow it up at anytime within its 7 day life-span