kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph
68360881

I have a 2005 polaris sportsman 500 the is leaking fuel from

Customer Question

I have a 2005 polaris sportsman 500 the carburetor is leaking fuel from the bottom nipple that is some type of a drain
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 year ago.

If this is a factory carb there's a screw that closes off the drain. It may be worn or you may want to coat the threads in liquid pipe thread sealent.

It's #13 in the diagram below

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2005-polaris-500-sportsman-6x6-a05cl50aa/o/m140023#sch494772

If you have any questions just reply back. If not, please take a moment to rate my service. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday I lifted the drain hose above the fuel tank hoping that would get me by because I need the quad. This morning I went to use it and the air cleaner housing was full of fuel. Also it wouldn't turn over and I couldn't pull start it. I pulled the spark plug and it was full of fuel. I turned it over and pumped the fuel out of the cylinder. Do u still think that the drain screw could do that?

No, the needle inside the carburetor is not seating in it's seat to shut of fuel flow into the bowl. This could be due to,

1. debris preventing the needle from seating

2. Worn needle and seat

3. Bad float

What I would recommend doing is replacing the needle and seat assembly. (#15 in diagram ) along with it's o ring (#16)

Also check that the float is not crakced and has gas in it.

Hello, just wanted to follow up and see how things went.