RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I have a 1999 xj600n and it cut out when I put it in 1st

Customer Question

I have a 1999 xj600n and it cut out when I put it in 1st gear before I had released the clutch It seemed like it was stuck in gear and I couldn't restart the bike. II have managed to get the bike back in neutral but now I just get a rasping noise from under the seat when trying to start it. Could be I have drained the battery trying to start it over an over. I was told the problem may be the sidestand switch so I checked this, but it seems to move in and out fairly easily. Does anyone know what the original problem could be and also does the rasping, clicking from under the seat indicate battery, starter, solenoid, relay?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I have a question for you however. Has this bike been sitting un-ridden for a period of time?

The rasping sound does not sound like a description I have heard before. The rest of your description definitely sounds like a battery that is in a discharged state or is old and no longer has sufficient cold cranking amps to start the bike. Is the battery old too?

Let me know and we can take it from there.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I had ridden a couple of hundred miles just two day earlier The rasping I describe may be better described as a constant clicking and comes from under the seat where there are electrical components. The last time I tried to start the bike there was a weak turn of the starter motor then just the clicking after that
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

If the battery is old, replace it. That is definitely a symptom of a weak battery.

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks I,ll try that. Do you think that the problems originated from the side stand switch which as I said the pin seemed to move quite freely
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

The side stand switch is not going to make it act like it is stuck in gear.

However, keep in mind that both transmission shafts have to be spinning for the gears to change. Motorcycles use a constant mesh transmission that have dogs (lugs) on the sides of the gears that it uses to change gears in the transmission. If those dogs happen to line up with each other, the gears will not shift. They need to interlace so to speak for the gear box to work. If the engine is not running and it is in gear, it is not uncommon to have to rock the bike back and forth while operating the shifter pedal to get it out of gear.

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The main thing is to try and get her started then I can see if any other problem persists. Cheers
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Yes. And if you need more help, just add to this thread and I will get back with you.

RSRBOB