Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

I'm trying to get my 2009 HD Ultra Custom started after

Customer Question

I'm trying to get my 2009 HD Ultra Custom started after nearly 12 months in storage. The engine turns over just fine but it doesn't want to start. I don't remember there being a choke on this bike, but I only got to ride this bike 3 times before being deployed overseas. I remember being told that I needed to wait a few seconds after turning on the ignition before trying to start the engine. The oil light is lit up on the instrument cluster when I attempt to start the bike as well as the ABS light, but I can't remember if that was the case 12 months ago. Is there something I'm missing here?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Welcome to JustAnswer

The oil & ABS lights should be lit until the engine starts

The fuel may have 'gone bad' over that length of time, this can happen after only 3-4 months

Does she cough or splutter when cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added fuel stabilizer to the tank the last time that I rode the bike. It acts like it's starving for fuel when I attempt to start the engine. Is there a fuel On/Off Petcock that I'm missing here?
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

OK I will check

meanwhile try spraying starter fluid into the air cleaner as a diagnostic aid to see if she will start momentarily

Are the plugs clean ie not wet from cranking?

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

There is no petcock fitted to your model

Can you check plugs please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plugs only have 500 or so miles on them but I can check them when I get home tonight. Should ai remove the air cleaner before spraying starter fluid into the air intake?
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

No its not necessary to remove the air cleaner just spray into intake

If she coughs / splutters when cranking then there is a spark present, if not then there COULD be a problem with plugs being wet or it may be a fuel related problem

Thanks for your patience in this matter, it is obviously difficult diagnosing problems remotely, but if she was running OK when laid-up there are less problems likely

Starter spray MAY cure the problem as when she starts once she should do so again

Please keep me informed with your progress but remember that I run on UK time