Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I bought a 84 Honda magna 700 v-4. It was hard to start and

Customer Question

Hello, I bought a 84 Honda magna 700 v-4. It was hard to start and running on 3 cylinders. I checked the valve clearance and # ***** had lost clearance so adjusted and checked all four. Then had a Honda trained mechanic with 35+ years experience that all dealers
send you to if your bike is 12+ years or older. He cleaned and adjusted carbs. I found cdi ignition modules manufactured new by electronics place and installed. It will now start right up, idle all day long, but cuts out at exactly 7200 rpm and will not reach
the redline of 10,500 rpm. what ya think. Ron
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ron, this might not be something you want to hear but it sounds like the reman CDI unit is either defective or wrong for this application. I've seen many non OEM CDI units have an improper rev limiter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked and these units are supposed to be set at 11,000 rpm limit.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) as a process of elimination:

• • check spark plug tip / ceramic burn color;
  • • test battery voltage idling and when attempting to rev over 7200RPM;
  • • verify no air leak - air cleaner box/cover, coupling , filter/element correctly installed with air entry only through the designated opening.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just installed the new cdi in my 01 Yamaha grizzly 600 and it will crank but no spark in plug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should the voltage be on CDI light blue wire ?with key on or key on and cranking
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

For the Grizzly/CDI question, please click HERE.