Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  I have fixed & modified bikes for 35 yrs I'm now THE Mobile Bike Mechanic for S.LONDON since 1990
38097336

OK, I have a 2008 Vespa S150. It starts up right away and

Customer Question

OK, I have a 2008 Vespa S150. It starts up right away and then dies in less than 5 seconds. Seems to me the fuel pump is not pumping fuel. It is my understanding this model has an "in tank" fuel pump, not a vacuum pump. Do you agree its the fuel pump? And if so, is this something I can do if I buy the part? And yes, I am mechanical. Just not that familiar with the Vespa S150. What say ye?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Yes that could be the fuel pump (which is situated in the tank) especially if there is still a spark - fit an inline spark checker to see
There is a recall on certain models from 2008-2011 where the fuel pump will be replaced for free. Check with Vespa whether yours is covered
Fuel & spark is governed by the black box so a dealer can plug it in to find the cause, this should be a quick & cheap diagnosis whereas replacing parts without this check could prove expensive &/or time consuming
Otherwise disconnect the fuel line & see if it pumps !

I hope this helps somewhat

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

As I havent heard from you for 1/2hr & its past 5:30am here im going to go offline (to sleep)

Your question will remain open so feel free to respond or resubmit

Good luck

Good night

Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Good luck

Good night

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, as it turns out my S150 is actually a S150 I.E. So, it is fuel injected and does not have in tank fuel pump. How does that change things?
Expert:  Bike-Doc replied 1 year ago.

Does she still have a spark after she dies?

If so we can look into the fuel supply. If not it is an ignition problem